For Your Funnel Cake Craving


Here in Texas, the big event of the season is the State Fair. And when I say big I mean HUGE! Home to Big Tex and the largest Ferris wheel in North America, the State Fair of Texas is big in square mileage, and big in Texans' traditions.

One of our family's traditions when we visit the State Fair of Texas is to share a funnel cake! They're as big as a paper plate, fried and fluffy curls piled high, topped with powdered sugar and fresh strawberries...I'm practically drooling just thinking about it. Every October, I start to crave a funnel cake the way some women crave pumpkin spice lattes.

At the same time, I want to stay healthy and be careful about the foods I put into my body. Sure, a cheat day is fine now and again, but this time of year there are so many temptations to cheat on my healthy diet! The struggle is real. 

Thankfully, I stumbled upon a healthy recipe that successfully deceives my taste buds and satisfies my funnel cake craving! I'm not kidding! You won't even believe what it is...SWEET POTATOES!


// Baked Cinnamon Honey Sweet Potato Fries {Funnel Cake Alternative}

Ingredients:
2 large sweet potatoes, cut into fries at your desired thickness
ev olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
ground cinnamon
pure honey

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Gently layer the sweet potato fries in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle on the salt.

3. Evenly spread the fries on the baking sheet and bake about 15 minutes, flip the fries, then bake for another 15 minutes.

4. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with cinnamon and drizzle honey. Serve warm.


Close your eyes, and pretend you're at the State Fair of Texas enjoying a giant funnel cake! Save yourself a cheat day and reap the nutritional benefits of tasty sweet potatoes. 

///